Happy 21st Birthday to LDPA Credit Insurance
It’s hard to believe but it’s been 21 years since The Channel Partnership opened our doors for business on 1st August 1992. Sat at our desks with their monochrome monitors and our fax machine at the ready, we didn’t need to worry about emails or the internet as these were still technologies of the future. We did, though, have dial up modems delivering data at speeds of 16 kbits / second. While John and Tom have been at the helm of The Channel Partnership for more than two decades now, most of our fantastic team were still in junior school when the company started trading!
The credit insurance market was dominated by Trade Indemnity (now Euler Hermes) for domestic credit insurance and NCM (now Atradius) for export cover. Insured credit limits could be applied for in writing by fax. Our fax machine (RIP) was a monster machine that chugged out paper at a tremendous rate in the corner of office but we loved it and nursed it when it was poorly and jammed up, which it did regularly. This was very frustrating but how business was conducted back in 1992! A fax machine and a telephone was all we needed then.
But 1992 was a momentous year, and not just for The Channel Partnership. It was 12 months of huge events that changed the world forever, and to celebrate we’re sharing our memories of 1992 with you:
- The Queen celebrated her Ruby Jubilee. It was also her Annus Horribilis.
- John Major was the Prime Minister.
- Bill Clinton becomes U.S. president
- Nigel Mansell retires from Formula One racing.
- Prince Charles and Diana, Princess of Wales, separate.
- The UK government closes 31 out of 50 of Britain’s deep coal mines.
- The model of the moment, Cara Delevingne, was born.
- The Hoxne Hoard, the largest hoard of late Roman silver and gold discovered in Britain, and the largest collection of gold and silver coins of the fourth and fifth century found anywhere within the Roman Empire, was discovered by metal detectorist Eric Lawes in Suffolk.
- Euro Disney opens in France.
- South Africans vote for political reforms to end apartheid and create a power-sharing multi-racial government.
- Two of the strongest earthquakes ever to hit California strike the desert area east of Los Angeles.
It’s been a great 21 years for us and here’s to the next 21 years of trading! We hope you’ll join us as we see what the future holds. Please share your memories of 1992 and working with us all the last 21 years – we’d like to hear from you!